Stormwater Management

If you see someone dumping material down the storm drain or into the gutter, you can report the illicit discharge on our 24-hour hotline at 801-560-3718.

Storm Water Management Plan - 2021

The City of North Salt Lake is the regulatory agency for the Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) in North Salt Lake City. All connections to, as well as discharges to, the storm water system in NSL must be done by permit.

Residential Discharges

Typically, the ONLY thing that can be discharged to our storm water system is rainwater. There are exceptions that are legal to discharge, such as washing your car in your own driveway or making an approved tie for a spring located on your property. An explanation of what may be legally discharged to the storm water system can be found here.

Commercial Discharges

All commercial locations in North Salt Lake City are required to maintain and operate the approved storm drain controls which were installed (or approved for installation) at plan approval. These features include drainage swales, detention or retention basins, orifice plates, oil and water separators, etc.

All businesses are required to assess their on-site storm water controls and submit an inspection report annually. This form may be found here.

An illicit discharge is an unlawful act of disposing, dumping, spilling, emitting, or other discharge of any substance other than stormwater into the stormwater drainage system. The stormwater drainage system includes streets, ditches, catch basins, yard inlets, and streams.

If your business has an accidental release, or you see a release from any business, it is critical you call our 24-hour hotline as quickly as possible so the release can be mitigated as quickly as possible. Please call 801-560-3718.

Construction Requirements

All construction projects which disturb an area greater than one acre, or are part of a larger plan of development that are greater than one acre, are required to obtain a storm water permit from the State of Utah prior to beginning any work. The Notice of Intent must be submitted with your Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) in your building permit package. Please note that this DOES include single family homes that are part of a subdivision, as long as the entire subdivision is larger than one acre. You may obtain a Storm Water Permit from the Utah Department of Environmental Quality, administered by the Utah Division of Water Quality.

For a SWPPP inspection, please contact Jason Boulton directly at 801-335-8682.