The Engineering Department is responsible for the following:
- Construction observation - Projects being constructed in the city, both private and public, are under observation by the Engineering Department to ensure compliance with city standards, as well as to ensure proper installation and methodology according to standards, which may include manufacturer standards, industry standards, American Public Works Association (APWA), state codes, etc.
- Drinking water source protection - Ensure compliance with state requirements on protecting our drinking water sources, including review of business applications within the protection zones.
- Mapping - All mapping of city streets, capital facilities, public improvements, etc. are created and maintained by the Engineering Department. This includes providing support to other departments for specific mapping needs.
- Private development - Projects built and funded by private developers are reviewed and approved by the city for compliance with city standards and development codes. Many of these improvements will be dedicated to the city as public improvements, such as streets, sidewalks, storm drains, waterlines, etc. Private developments that will not become public are excluded.
- Private property improvements - Projects located on private property are reviewed for compliance with storm drain retention / discharge, grading compliance, etc.
- Public improvements - Projects that are funded by the city, including water facilities and lines, storm drain improvements, streets, etc. are designed or overseen by the Engineering Department during planning, bidding, and construction.
Schedule a Construction Inspection
To schedule construction inspections, please call 801-755-7661 or 801-335-8730.